View Single Post
Old December 26, 2014, 02:00 AM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
First, if you practice only with low power ammo you could get a surprise when the hot stuff goes off when you use it for real (this applies more to revolvers than to autos), and two, you will know if your gun will work OK with the "good stuff" (this applies more to auto pistols than revolvers). Some folks have found out that saving the good ammo for a time of need was the wrong approach when the good ammo didn't work in time of need.

9mm El-cheapo range ammo is typically 115gr and loaded pretty light, and feels (and sounds!) nothing like the premium SD offerings out there, especially when fired out of a small, short barreled carry piece ..... not really good at all for "practice" ......

While I do not advocate shooting the dollar-a-pop premium stuff for practice (if you could afford to do that, just hire a bodyguard!), I do advocate reloading ..... you can roll your own to whatever power level you wish, with whatever bullet weight and style, even the same bullets that your carry ammo uses ..... buy them in bulk and they don't hurt the wallet near as much.

Quote:
FWIW, I oppose the idea of "rotating" carry guns unless the guns are of the same type and action. I have heard folks insist that they know from "muscle memory" exactly what gun is in their hand and would never ever make a mistake. Maybe, but I wouldn't want to have to figure out where the safety is when bullets are flying about.
+1. Rotating guns means your "muscle memory" must make a decision, and muscles are really bad at that stuff ..... deeply ingrained reflexes are tough (and expensive!) to instill, and hard to change once attained. Mixing them .... might not be good ....... IIRC, a Mr. Tex Grebner got his trigger finger trained to push the retention relase button on a certain holster while using a Glock ..... then switched to a 1911 and a different holster and put a hole in his thigh when his finger was looking for a button that was not there .....

Page generated in 0.02257 seconds with 8 queries