View Single Post
Old November 23, 2018, 07:37 PM   #17
globemaster3

And the camps form...

To each their own in terms of what you want to use. I cannot force anyone to use a specific bullet (nor would I try), but for those on the fence, this provides some quantitative data for consideration from a first-person account with the blood on his hands from gutting and dull knives from skinning the aftermath vs anecdotal "I heard that" or "my cousin's wife's uncle said..."

I echo Mobuck and Wyosmith in terms of wanting to use a hunting bullet for the purpose of hunting, as they are designed to operate within the parameters of what I expect from a hunting bullet. Match bullets... you get what you get. Once it hits the animal, its done what it was designed to do (get to the target) and all bets are off in terms of what will happen next.

jmr40, I will respectfully throw the male bovine fecal matter weighted handkerchief at the information on ELD-M vs SST. My kids and I shoot SSTs exclusively in the 6.8 SPC and at the same ranges as the 6.5 Creedmore ELD-Ms I posted about... with a couple hundred fps less and 20gr less weight at the muzzle compared to the 6.5 I observed, ALL of ours yielded exit wounds on big Missouri whitetails to Texas whitetails... We are up to 10 deer with that round and every single one had exit wounds. All but 1 were easily recovered with some bang-flops from heart and spine shots, and the regular lung hits went no more than 30 yards. The ONLY exception is when I screwed up, pulled the shot, and blew a hole through the stomach. That one ran a bit.

I also side with 603country on the desire for an exit wound. The animal gets a vote. I saw a whitetail take a pair of .270 Win 130gr Corelokts without flinching then run 100 yards (not a bash on those venerable Remington pills, I shot them for years with no problems); deer with shoulders internally detached run on them for 80 yards, etc. Although I always strive and most times achieve the shot I want, that extra hole is insurance against one getting plugged with an internal organ and giving me a better blood trail for tracking recovery.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."

Page generated in 0.02504 seconds with 8 queries