View Single Post
Old August 20, 2018, 04:22 PM   #4
Wyosmith

The answer is easy.
In a 5.56 caliber AR, longer is better.

The ballistics of a 16.5 inch AR are identical to a 22" 222 Remington. So that's not too much of a drop.

And Yes--- the short barrels are VERY loud and if you look at the energy you get for that blast, it's not as powerful as a standard 218 Bee. However a 22 LR can be quite deadly, so I am not saying the effects of the SBR in 223 are to be laughed at, but I am not impressed with the concept at all.

I think many other rounds would be a better option. To my way of thinking, an SBR in 223 is mostly flash and noise, and you may be better off with a blow-back AR in 45 auto. At least a 45 auto can penetrate wall board a lot better, and is not near as loud, is very accurate at ranges out to 150 yards, and doesn't flash like a strobe light.
Not to mention the fact that the stoner system used in the 223 short barrels can be a tricky system to make work once the barrels gets real short. Not so a 9MM or a 45. Or for the gas system maybe a 300 Whisper. Or even the 7.62X39.

But the 223/5.56 NATO is an actual rifle round made form rifle length barrels.

To me the super SBRs in 223 are an example of the saying "Having lost sight of the objective, we'll redouble our efforts."

What is the purpose of an SBR? What's it's "mission statement"?

I thought it was for fighting, and for carry in confined spaces.
It's certainly not for target shooting or hunting.

So for carry in confined spaces the caliber doesn't matter at all.

But for fighting I would rather have a 45, a 40, a 9MM or a 7.62X39 long before I would consider a 223 with a 10" or shorter barrel. Sure, it will kill a bad-guy But so would a cut off 30-06 with a 9" barrel. So will a Ruger 10/22.

It's just that there are many better calibers to consider for the fulfillment of that mission statement when mated to an AR15.

Page generated in 0.03977 seconds with 8 queries