View Single Post
Old August 2, 2017, 09:47 AM   #49
F. Guffey

Quote:
None of the pre-Spitzer rifles were rebarreled. The only change was the cut-out for the longer rounds in the 88s and a longer lead in the early 98s.
I could say something like; "What do I know?" but there was a collector/shooter/ going to be a reloader that got sideways with smiths in the Huntsville area of Alabama. He wanted to check the length of the chambers in all of his Mouser rifles. His collection included Commission rifles and rifles made after 1906. Smiths insisted one of the gages did not exist and it was impossible to check all of the rifles with one gage.

Long story short I could not convince him all of the chamber lengths could be checked with one gage so I made him one set of gages that would check all of the length from the shoulder to the bolt face. He removed three rifles from his collection as shooters because he found the chambers were at least .018" longer than a minimum length/full length sized case from the shoulder to the bolt face and he was impressed with the number of rifles he had that were .005" shorter than a go gage length chamber when measured from the shoulder to the bolt face.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.01957 seconds with 8 queries