View Single Post
Old May 16, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
dmazur

I've reloaded for a Ruger #1 for quite a few years. Never crimped.

Neck tension is sufficient to survive normal field handling.

While I've never owned a single shot bolt-action, I can't believe there are any more forces involved in chambering a round than there are in a Ruger #1. You can drop one on a loading ramp and that aligns it with the chamber, does it not? There are no magazine rails to tune for a feed angle.

Also, most bullets for non-military calibers don't have a cannelure, so crimping can distort the bullet and adversely affect accuracy.

And, even if you find bullets in the weight you select appropriate for distance, if they have a cannelure, the fixed location of that will effectively prevent adjusting COL for the amount of jump your rifle likes.

I would proceed with load development for your very nice rifle and forget about crimp for this application...

Edited to add:

You should read this. The Lee FCD for rifle isn't the same die as the FCD for pistol. While the mandrel crimp isn't the same type of recoil-resisting crimp you are used to, I suppose it can be called a crimp. And there are definitely two "camps" concerning its use.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=lee+fcd

Last edited by dmazur; May 16, 2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added link to FCD thread

Page generated in 0.03342 seconds with 8 queries