View Single Post
Old October 26, 2001, 03:19 PM   #2
AAshooter

I would say in general, it is not worth reloading unless one of the following is true:
1) you shoot quite a bit
2) value your personal time low
3) want to make some special loads/rare loads
4) want to pursue it as a hobby.

Otherwise the return is not there when you consider your cost of equipment and time. For example, you can buy 12 Gauge AAshells for about $ 5/box and reload them for about $ 3/box if you use good components. Say a serious progressive reloader costs about $ 500, that means you need to reload about 250 boxes of shells.

Now if you count your time to:
* Pick-up and sort hulls
* Buy reloading components
* Box your shells
* Cut apart your mistakes to recover components

you need to reload a lot of shells depending on the value of your time.

A lot of work when you can buy one-time use 12 gauge Winchester shells from Walmart for about $ 4/box. These are pretty high quality shells and great loads for clays sports.

Having said that, I have paid for my reloader several times over. Enjoyed reloading. In my case, I split the reloader with a buddy and we spent a lot of quality time together reloader. Lots of people report it is a good thing to do with their children. For me, I shot a lot, pursue it as a hobby and save a little money.

The biggest saving is that if you are spending your time reloading, you are shooting . . . that saves lots of money!

Finally, I should note the financials change on the other gauges. You don't have the availability of .410 and 20 gauge that you do on 12 Gauge. They pay back quicker.

If you don't want to reload but have access to once-fired hulls, you can always sell them to people who reload for 5 cents or so a hull if they are high quality hulls.

Page generated in 0.03795 seconds with 8 queries