View Single Post
Old December 15, 2021, 06:40 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc
Understood.

This is another case where IF the po-po had been recording w/audio, it wouldn't be a hearsay argument in court. Either the cops came in announcing who they are and he'd be guilty of attempted murder of a police officer, or they didn't and he was clearly defending himself from armed intruders.
Anyone can yell, "Open up! Police!" There have been numerous reports of home invaders using that ploy to gain entry. It's not hard to buy police uniform clothing, and anyone can go on-line and order a badge that will look real enough through a door peephole or on a doorbell camera.

This is why I believe that no-knock and so-called "knock and announce" dynamic entries should be outlawed. There have been far too many cases of police smashing their way into the wrong house -- sometimes resulting in injury to or death of one or more residents, and occasionally resulting in injury to or death of a police officer. These days, I'm not willing to believe that someone standing on the porch hollering "POLICE!" are really the police.

I've even been a victim, in a very minor way. Some years ago, a couple with the same last name as mine lived about a mile down the street from me. My last name is not a common last name, like Smith or Jones.

One evening I was sitting at my computer and the telephone rang. I answered, and a voice on the other end said something like, "This is [___] police dispatch. Secure your dogs and let the officers into your house." Well, this was all news to me, because I had never owned a dog, and there were no police cars in my yard. Which I told the dispatcher in no uncertain terms. Of course -- the cops were at the house down the street, the other household with the same last name, but my town's sterling detectives couldn't figure out that the first telephone number listed for My Street under [Last Name] wasn't the right party just because the last name was the same.

It could have been worse -- they might have BEEN at my door even though they were looking for the other dude. It's a sobering thought.
Jeepaholic

Page generated in 0.03121 seconds with 8 queries