View Single Post
Old September 27, 2010, 02:00 AM   #37
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighExpert
Yeah, but 134 Florida deer equal about 30 decent size whitetails. I look for does that go around 140 and bucks that will push 180. I only get 6 so poundage makes a difference. Prefer does. They eat better.
I live in Utah. We have to enter the lottery to have a chance at any deer (one deer unit is still over-the-counter, but it's a zoo -- I won't touch it unless I'm desperate).

We're allowed one male and one female Deer, Elk, and Antelope, each year. You do, however, have to draw those tags separately. The deer tags require a draw for antlered, and a draw for antlerless. The antelope tags are the same. Bull Elk can be bought over-the-counter, but cows must be drawn for. Hunters are lucky if they draw 3 tags (of various species), and entered all of the drawings (and had been applying for several years). Most hunters are more likely to get 2, if they really try hard.

In Florida, there are several species, and sub-species, of deer. Where I was, I was primarily hunting the Florida Coastal Whitetails. However, I was within 25 minutes of land that has some nice 'Bama-style, big white tails (western panhandle in HogDogs' neck of the woods). The hunting license doesn't distinguish between them (or didn't when I was there), except for the protected species (Keys Deer, etc.). Those Coastal Whitetails are dogs. They are tiny little things. The 'Bama deer that come down are good sized, though. I never hunted any of the other sub-species, so I can't comment on their "real" size.

This year, I put 2 doe Antelope in the freezer, and will be going after Bull Elk soon (easier to get, than a cow tag, and another 100+ pounds of meat).

Page generated in 0.02609 seconds with 8 queries