View Single Post
Old January 3, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
1. Do you recommend any particular ammo - both shot and slugs? I want to start with target shooting with shot, but since I mainly shoot at the NRA headquarters, I need to use slugs (they don't allow shot at the range).
Not really any particular brand but do suggest you buy a few of each and see what seems to do best from your gun as it seems to matter to some folks... My guns seem to be as spartan and redneck as myself and do perform well enough as I don't often bench fire to find miniscule variations...

But being so new to shotguns, you really need to be aware of the very real risk of developing a nasty "flinch factor" which is to anticipate the recoil and pull or push the gun as you fire which never lends to utmost accuracy...

Lighter recoiling loads help prevent this to some degree... The weight of the payload being the same with identical shot charge will recoil the same in bird or buck shot and slugs so you are looking for slower fps, lower "dram equiv." and/or lighter payloads for softer hitting rounds... Hot loaded heavy payload recoil smarter... If you find a suitable field with safety down range, you can get a hand slinger for clays and a case of clays which can make a fun afternoon for you and a buddy...

Quote:
2. In addition to learning proper technique (do you have any tips or resources on this, by the way?), what do you think is the best strategy for softening recoil?
I was verbally told and physically shown how to hold a shotgun when I was 7-8 years old so how best to decribe it, I will defer to those with so much more experience in this but basicallyif you feel from shoulder inward, there is a nice soft spot I call the "pocket" that seems made for a gun stock to fit...
Pulling the gun firmly into this when firing keeps the gun from having any room to get moving to punch you there... Want to feel it hurt you, push it a half inch away and hold loosely when you fire a hot round... With a pump such as yours, if you do not want the action to open when you fire, you will need to push forward on the front hand though...

Cheek weld is to literally have your face already in firm contact with stock before you fire... this also helps create a uniform view for accurate, repeatable results down range...

Quote:
You mention weighing down the rear stock, how exactly should I do that?
There are many "official" methods that the more formally experienced than myself will know...

But your stock is super hollow so you can fill a shot shell hull with lead shot and wrap in enough cloth to fit snug of cut strips of roof flashing sheet lead to fit in there... This isn't ideal as you cannot balance the weight fore and aft but it will add weight... There are all sorts of specific weights these "pro shooters" buy to add to front etc...

Quote:
What about recoil pads for the gun? Or pads worn by the shooter? My only concern with adding pads is that my reach is just about at its limit - and I don't want to buy a shorter stock and install it...
You will find that the pad on your stock is marginal at recoil mitigation compared to other makes and models of pad which can easily spend north of $50.00 but really soak up the recoil while being dimensionally the same as the one on your gun...

For a nicer set of replacement stocks, Havlin sales gets "factory Blems and take offs" and sells them very reasonably...
http://havlinsales.com/default.htm

"Modern Shotgun Parts" is the button on left column where you find these... Just call him to ask what is currently in stock as he worries more about guns than websites...

Quote:
Thanks again, much obliged,
D
Anytime... Hope it helps... I am not formally gun smart just a redneck feller that graduated valley-dict-touring from the school of hard knocks...

Brent

Page generated in 0.03541 seconds with 8 queries