View Single Post
Old May 7, 2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Picher

Excellent .22 LR accuracy depends on not only the rifle, but the ammo it loves to shoot. Unfortunately, most tightly-chambered target rifles don't shoot high speed ammo as well as some other rifles with standard chambers. Hard to believe, but I found it true after rebarreling my 10-22 to a heavy Shilen barrel.

Optimum accuracy increased dramatically when using quality match ammo, but the rifle didn't like Winchester Power Points as well as before the switch. After bedding, firing pin staking, headspace reduction, trigger improvements, the rifle averaged 37/100ths of an inch for 10 consecutive 5-shot groups at 50 yards. That's about as good as it gets for semi-autos.

That said, Quality bolt-action benchrest rifles are capable of one-hole groups (1/8") with tuners and $18 a-box ammo and 30+ power scopes, but that's a specialized situation and not realistic for all-around .22 rifles.

What is accurate for me? It depends on the use. From a bench a sporter rifle and high vel. ammo it loves, should shoot within 3/4" at 50 yards. Being able to shoot 2" groups offhand at 50 yards with a rifle/scope/ammo combination makes me very happy (but I can't do that every day). That combination would allow me to plink to my heart's content; to hunt with confidence within the 100 yards limit I set for myself with that cartridge (using a field rest, or sitting position beyond 50 yards).

I have a few rifles that exceed that tolerance, but very few.

Page generated in 0.03758 seconds with 8 queries