Thread: 257 Roberts
View Single Post
Old December 14, 2012, 08:59 AM   #17
HiBC

I have the Ackley on Mex Mauser.That a small ring short 98 .I have been shooting it over 20 years and it kills real well on deer and antelope.I have not shot an elk with it,but with an Accubond or Partition at modest range I think it would be fine.The key would be the willingness to not pull the trigger unless the right shot was offered.

The 115 Ballistic tip has a BC of about .435.That is comparable to a 150 gr 30 cal bullet.So,a standard Roberts will easly give a similar trajectory to many .308 to 30-06 150 gr loads.The 115 gr Berger I have not used yet,but with a BC of .475 it will fly with a 168 gr .30 cal Matchking.

The standard Roberts works in a fine velocity range.Versus the AI?Well,I do like my AI,but more is not always better than enough.The Roberts is cool because its enough.

I have throttled back on my AI loads a bit,but I get 3050 with a 115 Nosler BT from a 22 in bbl.

One mil high at 100 yds puts it zero at 300 and one mil low at about 430 yds at my altitude of about 5000 ft.I zero at 300.My standard duplex fixed 6x by 42 mm Leupold is one mil center crosshairs to duplex post tip.

An antelope who fits brisket to whithers in the full duplex is a touch over 200 yds.Center crosshair to one duplex post,probably too far to shoot at about 430 yds.

That little range estimation tool has been a great part of my success.

BTW,Mine is built with a 7x57 mag box.I seat the bullet to the base of the neck and have plenty of mag box room.You have to deep seat in a 2.8 box.

Mine is1 in 10 twist Any slower will not like bullets over 100 gr.

A friend who did not understand controlled round feed extractors managed some case separations fireforming to AI.Forcing the extractor to snap over the rim places too much loads on the un fireformed shoulder and sets it back.Just feed up from the mag,as CRF was intended
Oh,on ammo availability,I just buy 500 rds new brass.For the hunting rifle volume I shoot,I load 100 rds to fireform,and go shoot them.I use two 50 rd boxes.I don't usually shoot more than 50 at a session.So,I rotate through as two lots of 50 till I get neck splits,then I junk them and fireform new brass.

Page generated in 0.04202 seconds with 8 queries