View Single Post
Old September 29, 2005, 08:12 AM   #5
Rojoe67

Union Bears (Yankee type) - Blackies

Bear hunting in Michigan is a little north of the area you hunt but some things are solid and general. The temps your talking are about the same temps we look for in Michigan's Black Bear season. We get some warm weather days of 70 but the trend seems to be more towards the 50-55 spot. Nights seem to average around 30-35. Now, that said norms are not rules. Seen all types of weather in September. I think the night and the weather plays into hunting as many have said for years and years. I also think if a Blackie is hungry he could just as easy be seen moving around in the daylight too. My education of Blackies here in Michigan is from an old hunter and friend. He has hunted bears for about? 40 years now? He claims he figured them out real good after the first 10 years of learning for himself. He also owns land in Ontario and hunts there as well. A few of his secrets that seemed to work well over the years are as follows: When baiting always use a secondary trail for only that mission. Use only meat scraps at the bait location, a few days stink might turn your stomach but it is a dinner bell to bears. Cover the bait with logs that are heavy for the hunter to move, only humans or bears will move them. When hunting he swears by the rubber hip boots, charcoal suit and a little skunk cover scent on a cotton ball on a string - dangled from a loop around your boot. Drop same 10 yards prior to your hunt location. Distance of 85 yards or more is desired. The 30-06 worked well for years but in the last 10+ years he has taken a fond friendship to his 270. If you can start hunting in the early afternoon 1-2pm the chances are a huge increase of seeing bears. Most bears he has taken are within 1 hour of dark. Most importantly he states to share your hunting story of success with only family and trusted friends. If your not careful your good luck will get out and you might have a few new friends that found your area and think they will make it as their spot. A few of (his could be record book makers) are only photo, video and eye witnessed by close friends and family. He likes the private life and intends it to stay that way....... That might well be the best advice he gave me.... He has taken some 16+ bears between Michigan and Canada. That is a good indicator to me that my teacher has his degree and a few are on the wall.

Page generated in 0.02532 seconds with 8 queries