View Single Post
Old July 15, 2001, 10:30 PM   #9
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

To practice snap shooting at moving targets??? Try shooting trap/skeet or even hand tossed clays. Best 'practice' there is.

It takes years to learn to be patient enough to stalk them up in their beds> I know it took me a long time to learn it. I'm pretty good at finding elk in their beds and my dad has even shot one that was sleeping (nice spike).

On shooting at running animals.. It can be done its easier with iron sights than with a scope and I have learned thats its damn near impossible to hit a pronghorn running full tilt (55mph the second fastest land animal) at 50 yards with a scoped rifle. With bot eyes open and leading him so far he's note even IN the scope you'll still shoot behind him. I refuse to shoot at running antelope. You MIGHT hit one, but it won't be the one you aimed at. Deer and elk are a bit different. They aren't as fast and Kieth is right when they are standing up they are a bit awkward. If your rifle is on your shoulder instead of in your hands you just missed your best shot. I hunt in heavy woods where a "snap shot" is all you are likely to get, a scope isn't REALLY necessary but most of use them anyway. Binos and iron sights could get you where you want to go.

Page generated in 0.02297 seconds with 8 queries