View Single Post
Old February 2, 2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer303
Anyone besides me leary of a Basic Lee Loader?
My shooting/reloading buddy is. I am not. I have never had a primer ignite. But then, I don't use them that often, preferring my press.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer303
I just CRINGE every time I have to pound the bullet into a primed and charged case. Nothing has ever happened other than I had a primer go off while seating one time
Were you seating the primer or seating the bullet?

If this happened while seating the bullet I would be very surprised. Nothing should be touching the primer at all but the surrounding metal of the cartridge.

If this happened while seating the primer, I would suggest these remedies;

Use a wooden mallet. (You did not specify what driver you use)
Use little taps to seat the primers.
Clean the primer pockets of any debris that might jam up the primer's anvil.
Use a primer pocket uniformer (once per cartridge is enough) to ensure primer pocket depth is adequate.

Last ditch. Don't seat the primer that way. Get a Lee Hand Primer. Less than $20 and it gives excellent service (just keep the critical points lubricated).

Good luck

Lost Sheep

p.s. I notice that mikld posted while I was composing and his suggestion of using a heavier hammer/mallet might seem to be the opposite of my suggestion of little taps, but consider that both methods share the same characteristic of delivering less ENERGY. The heavy, slow-moving "deadblow hammer" has more MOMENTUM, but less energy than a lighter, faster-moving mallet/hammer. So, mikld's suggestion has my endorsement as well.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; February 2, 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Page generated in 0.03846 seconds with 8 queries