View Single Post
Old December 9, 2012, 07:25 AM   #12
Qtiphky

Some Experiences

It is a lot of fun and allows you to hunt more days per year as there is usually a separate season for muzzleloader only. I know there is here in Michigan. I started with a side lock percussion white mountain carbine and it has done quite well over the past 15 years. However, now that my sons are getting in to it, I needed to get another one and went with a CVA Wolf inline 209 magnum. Not that I will need the magnum probably ever, but after using the side lock for so many years I wanted to move to the next level. The wolf has modern lines and was only $179 at my local gun store. I'm sure a lot of people don't think the inlines are "traditional" in their endeavors, but I wasn't looking for that as I already have that.

Getting the old one ready, the nipple had rusted shut again on me and it was a stainless steel one. Thought I had scrubbed it good after the last time, but I guess not. Black powder/pyrodex is very corrosive so if it isn't perfectly clean you will get rust that can ruin your day in a hurry. I'm sure the newer inline ones will be the same, but they seem like they will be much easier to clean with their removable breech plug.

My two cents worth.

Page generated in 0.03361 seconds with 8 queries