View Single Post
Old May 1, 2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Jim8115,

You can post over maximum loads, but that warning I edited into your OP has to go in. Please read this sticky.

Your H110 load is about 10% faster and has about 20% more energy than the Unique load. 125 grains actually is an optimal bullet weight for H110/296 as bullets that are lighter (110 grain) or heavier (158 grain) are able to extract less energy from the amount of that powder you can fit under them in the .357 case. If you want more velocity, you can get it, though. Look at Alliant 300-MP powder, a new one that is posting velocities 100 to 200 fps faster than H110/296 at the same pressures.

Another thing to consider is your chronograph. Lots of folks run a bit too close to them without realizing the slow powders, in particular, can cause false triggering of the screens due to muzzle blast. It can cause either high or low readings. I always use 15 ft, same as SAAMI specs require, just to level the playing field, though I expect 10ft to be adequate with handguns. I don't trust closer spacing, though.

I still have some H110/296, but don't find I use it often, now. My main .357 revolver is a Dan Wesson, and the forcing cone showed significant signs of erosion after firing a fairly modest number of loads built with that powder, so I went back to 2400 in it, knowing it is beefy enough for the original, higher .357 pressure rating still used by the CIP which regulates European ammunition manufacturers. I haven't got around to wringing out 300-MP yet, as I focus more on rifles these days.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; May 2, 2012 at 07:02 AM.

Page generated in 0.03323 seconds with 8 queries