View Single Post
Old May 12, 2010, 11:43 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

I don't remember what companies make them... but, there are .22 LR shell holders available (mostly for the guys that load .22 LR centerfire).

The closest thing that's easily obtainable is a .25 Auto shell holder. I would recommend an RCBS shell holder, as they have tighter tolerances in .25 Auto than Lee - and the center hole (for decapping and priming) is too large on the Hornady. It would put pressure directly on the primed rim.

Somewhat obtainable, but still special-order, would be a .22 CCM (Cooper Centerfire Magnum) shell holder. It's a centerfire .22 mag. Again, RCBS's version is said to have tighter tolerances. I haven't tried one.

The safest, but most expensive bet is going to be a shell holder designed specifically for .22 LR.

As far as the actual reloading process is concerned...

I wouldn't bother trying to save bullets. There is no good way to pull a lead bullet from rimfire ammo - especially heeled bullets.

Once it's out... you need to flare the mouth of the case. If I were doing it, I would try threading a .22 cal cartridge die upside down in my press, with the expander pointing down toward the cartridge (minus the decapping pin, of course). ...So, the expander is sticking out of the die the wrong way, and the die is in the press the wrong way; making the expander face the right way.

Once you get your hands on some new lead bullets... (which are not likely to be heeled; and jacketed stuff is not an option), you'll need to create an artificial heel, and seat them. If it were me, I would build the equivalent of a cannelure tool, to roll a heel and crimp groove into / onto the bullets.

For seating, there is little choice, but to build a tool for the job - or modify another .22 Cal seating die. I would probably use a .22 Hornet or .218 Bee seater. The shorter dies will require less cutting (and still retain enough threads to fit in the press), and the Hornet and Bee have seater plugs (RCBS versions, anyway) that work better with round nose bullets.

To crimp.... I would probably cut down and modify a .223 Rem Lee FCP die, or a buy a brand of die for the Hornet or Bee that uses a roll crimp (like the original design). The Hornet or Bee die could serve double duty, of course - being used for seating, as well.

Lastly - I wouldn't do it at all. I started loading for the .22 WMR to see what kind of velocities I could get, and to use bullets that weren't available in commercial ammo. In the end, I stocked up on Fiocchi and ArmsCor 45gr HP/SP ammo, and called it a draw. It was a vicious cycle of wanting more velocity, more expansion, a slower powder, then more velocity again. After everything was said and done, I just wasted a lot of perfectly good factory ammo (expensive stuff, too - the best .22 WMR hulls are from Winchester Supreme loadings).

I won't do it again. On the up side, though... my .22 WMR is probably the only one in the world that has fired a handful of 53gr Barnes TSXs.

Page generated in 0.03263 seconds with 8 queries