View Single Post
Old August 7, 2000, 02:22 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Kilgor, your lady is about the size of some of the rookies I trained with the 12 ga 870.

A standard 870 riot gun,18' bbl runs about 6 lbs, 10 oz. With a little work, one of these might be the best possible option,tho not ideal.

Let's say, hypothetically, your lady needs a stock with a 12 1/2" pull. Shortening a standard stock lightens same, and with the muzzle light feel offset by less weight in the rear,one could come up with a reasonably good handling 12 ga in a super light weight. That means it'll kick like Hades unless light loads and proper form are used. This is where one gets busy backboring,venting, lengthening the forcing cone,etc. This will not be cheap.

OTOH, the only difference I know of between the 20 gauges is the stock. The Youth Model comes with a 21" bbl and a single tube in Modified.Setting up the stock to fit her is more than just cutting it off at a predesignated point. And, recoil reduction stuff as I mentioned above with the 12 ga is still not a bad idea, if the cash is available.Starting off with a hard kicking gun has stopped many folks from being good shots...

You also might want to look over the thread I started on recoil pads.

Page generated in 0.03538 seconds with 8 queries