View Single Post
Old September 9, 2017, 05:05 AM   #25
stagpanther

I've shot and reloaded for both for years--really good loads in 6.8 come very close if not equal to what the grendel can do at closer ranges--those that mostly occur within "conventional hunting ranges." However, at 250 yds or so the inherent efficiency of the 6.5 bullet starts pulling away from the 6.8 appropriate .277. This does make a difference at delivering accuracy and energy at longer ranges, even if those advantages are narrowly defined by the inherent limitations of how much powder can be stuffed in the cases. When hunting with a light weight AR I almost always grab the 6.8 before the grendel, mostly because I'm just not likely to get a clear shot above 100 yds in the woods I hunt. Since I reload for all my weapons, any new caliber is a fun new exploration for me, and as most of you know I don't need much of an excuse to try out a new AR build.

Quote:
123SST caught my eye. My first and only load of 30.0gr of CFE223 over WMR in Hornady brass was astonishing
Interesting, I've tried that but didn't get results quite that good--maybe I'll need to take a second look. CFE 223 is one of those powders heavily favored in many articles I've read--but I've yet to come up with a CFE223 recipe that isn't bested by a different powder.

Page generated in 0.02864 seconds with 8 queries