View Single Post
Old June 24, 2013, 11:43 AM   #5
oldpapps

Gargus,

I don't know your area but in my area we have higher humidity in the summer months. With this in mind for my area and I would say yours also try these steps.

Seal you 'selected to be stored ammunition' in the winter/lowest humidity time of the year. Heat it 'all' before sealing it in (set on a forced air vent while the heat is on) to force more humidity out. Use one of those sealing bag machines over 'zip' tops for a better seal. When setting your ammo cans (plastic or metal GI), place them with good air flow and not in contact with concrete/brick to limit moisture transfer. This should take care of moisture.

Temperatures, both higher and swings, should be avoided.

As far as ammunition longevity goes. I would think that the propellant would be the weak point as it is made with various acids. Way back when 'smokeless powder' was first being used by the government, great quantities was made for used during 'The War to End All Wars' and in 10 to 15 years the stored bags of powder were trash and disposed of. Yet, I have fired 1917 and 1918 vintage 30.06 ammunition and it was fine. At the time it was only 65 or so years old. This indicates to me that storage plays a big part in how long the powder will last. In a sealed brass tube must be a good storage system.

With the 'new' powder production methods (and government requirements), I don't think you and I will need to be concerned with the weak component getting too old.

Be safe.

Enjoy,
OSOK

Page generated in 0.03092 seconds with 8 queries