View Single Post
Old March 8, 2001, 01:02 PM   #1
traitorjack

this came up over drinks the other night: do you remember the best hits you've ever taken while sparring? (street stuff should be another thread, I think, as well as shots you gave.) I do. I even had them ranked for a while; oddly enough, the ones where I had a bone broken (kick to a finger) or fractured (rib, from a kick to the side) didn't hurt as much as the ones that just folded me over.

there was this one guy, a former gymnast, who I'd sworn was far enough away not to worry about for a second. he just seemed to *float* towards me, his side kick sank into my midsection and the next thing I knew my knees hit me in the forehead. of course, he was apologetic and concerned, which was cool, no problem with that (after I managed to get back up.) equal parts surprise and pain, as I recall.

and then there was the time I'd just blocked a guy's kick, guiding his body away from me while I slipped in for what I thought was going to be the sweetest takedown in the world. on the other hand, he did seem to be twisting around a little more than I thought he would, given how hard I'd blocked his kick, and then his back spinning back fist caught me in the face. I could feel my contacts getting knocked off. a very useful lesson in thinking twice before congratulating yourself on how clever you are.

there's more, but I guess I should stop there.

Page generated in 0.03694 seconds with 8 queries