View Single Post
Old June 19, 2019, 12:19 AM   #1
Stargater53

Anyone Own Both a GP-100 And a 686?

I don't own a GP-100, but I do own a Ruger Security-Six and a S&W 686. The actions on both guns are astoundingly good, but I'm curious as to whether the GP-100 is actually on a par with the 686. When the 686-no dash first appeared, it was generally reported as being substantially more accurate than the Ruger. The reason was because S&W wanted to compete head-to-head with the Colt Python. One magazine in particular reported that the Ruger shot better with the heavier bullets, but that the S&W shot both light and heavy bullets equally well.

They don't make 'em like this
anymore. Some are for
shooting and others are
for looking, and this S&W
686 is purely for looking!
The no-dash 686 is a superb
.357 and has a reputation for
breathtaking accuracy. The
wood grips, stamped side-
plate and chromed hammer
and trigger make this a safe
queen extraordinaire! Not w
worry. I have another one
fer shootin!

Now, almost 40 years later, I have two S&W 686s, one no-dash and the other a 686-6, which is exceptionally accurate. I don't have a Ransom Rest to crank them both into, but I'm curious as to whether anyone has done a side by side test for accuracy? My 686-6 is a fine gun, and beautifully crafted, and whether it's up to a head to head shoot out with a Python or not I don't know; however, when first produced, it apparently could.

I've never fired my no-dash, but I'm keeping it for collectors value. I have fired my 686-6, though, and it's exceptionally accurate. I just don't know how accurate a 686 out of the box is in relation to an out of the box GP-100. I know people raise questions relating to which of the two they should get based on price, balance, reputation -- but I'm going by just accuracy, nothing less, nothing more.

And if there's an accuracy difference, is it enough to be the determining factor in buying one gun or the other?

--

Last edited by Stargater53; June 19, 2019 at 12:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.03449 seconds with 8 queries