Thread: Hand me downs
View Single Post
Old June 18, 2019, 08:38 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
NATO decided expanding ammunition was inhumane...
The decision to limit the military to FMJ ammo comes from the Hague Accords (Not the Geneva Convention as many believe) and was signed a good half CENTURY before NATO existed.

Quote:
Neither have significant value to sell or collect.
Depends on your definition of "significant". TO me, a couple hundred dollars is significant. And those rifles will bring that, possibly a bit more. No, they aren't in collectable condition but they aren't worthless, either.

Both have had their stocks chopped, and the useless (for hunting) wood removed (including the handguards). The Mauser has an aftermarket sights, the peep sight is Redfield or Lyman, probably. Original caliber would have been 8mm Mauser, and probably still is.

The Enfield is an SMLE and I think its a number 4 (No.4) which would be a WWII era gun. I'm not an expert on SMLE's, sorry. It would be a .303 British (SMLEs almost never get rechambered/rebarreled, there no point..)

Both rounds, with softpoint hunting ammo are quite adequate for all North American big game. As is, they are decent deer rifles, capable of putting venison in your freezer at any range you can make a good shot. Added plus as a "truck gun" where a few additional dings or scrapes won't seriously hurt what market value they have.

My personal opinion, either one is hands down a better deer gun than a Moisin Nagant.

Page generated in 0.02309 seconds with 8 queries