View Single Post
Old May 15, 2019, 01:51 PM   #32
5whiskey

Quote:
..... oh..... yer jus' gonna LUV flintlocks
Yes, yes I do

So I finally got a chance to take her out. I used 3F BP (grafs) just because I didn't want to order 2F and have a hard time using it to prime, and I refuse to fiddle with two different powders for priming and main charge. I used a .490 ball that I cast and pocket drill for a patch, spit lubed. I tried 70 and 80 grains (weighed, going to make a volume measure when I find my charge) with no real difference between the 2. I doubt I go higher than 80 grains of 3F with a PRB. When ramming the balls home I did notice that the bore was pretty rough until about halfway down. It smoothed out noticeably there.

All in all I'm pleased that I made the thing fire and had a couple of decent shots. It's definitely... different. I pulled probably half my shots, but could at least call where I pulled them.

I'm sure I'll be back with a bunch of questions after next range session. My first one was just a quickie to get my feet wet. I made the gun shoot and made some decent hits when I forced myself to hold steady. Which is as good as I could ask for.

Thanks to all who gave advice and talked me into cleaning the thing up and just getting out and shooting it.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946

Page generated in 0.02209 seconds with 8 queries