View Single Post
Old August 7, 2011, 07:22 AM   #1
ExMP

Cleaning/Wear questions

Good Morning All,

I was gifted a Westpoint .22 S/A. It's fairly old, but looks in good shape.

I took it to the range a week ago, and it stovepiped every 3-4 shots. The spring felt strong, the extractor looks good and the tube feed was clear. However, every time you charged the weapon, it sounded like you were rubbing sandpapers against each other.

This weekend I broke it down and OMG. The internal workings were utterly covered in crud. In some places, I could flake it off in pieces probably 1/32" in thickness. I don't think this rifle has ever been cleaned.

I went in with the brass brushes, solvent, paper towels, Q-tips and wooden skewers to get in those small cracks. It looks 100% better inside. However, when I charge the weapon, it still makes that sandpapery noise. I stripped it again, and I see the steel of the bolt rubs the aluminum (I think) roof of the casing. I feel I cleaned it well, but, if you could recommend anything better than Outers Nitro Solvent to do so, I'm all ears.

Also, do you know of anything I could do to help with the wear and/or smooth the sound of the bolt?

Thanks Guys!

Page generated in 0.02178 seconds with 8 queries