View Single Post
Old December 28, 2011, 09:38 PM   #9
pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter
Sounds like the innocent are alive and sadly the young robber will not live to correct his mistakes in life.
Excellent way to put it. Better men than he have died younger, and for less cause. That doesn't make his loss a happy thing. Just a necessary one in circumstances he himself chose.

The teenage assailant was younger than the son she acted to save. How did she feel when she learned his age, and that she'd killed him? I hope she has a good support structure around her, and the courage she will need to endure the reactions of the criminal's friends and family in her community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter
My question is how to train for the mental strain of a loved one other than yourself in danger?
Read the news empathetically: how would you feel and react in this woman's shoes? Would you rush out to find out if your son was okay, when you heard gunfire? Would you retreat and call the authorities, without even looking out your door?

Visualize your response. Not a vague knee-jerk thing, but set up the scene in your mind's eye and go through step by step. Put your son or your daughter in the place of hers and take the shot. Visualize yourself staying calm and focused and doing what you need to do.

Take a class that includes force on force (scenario-based, reality-based) training and make a point of visualizing your own loved ones in key roles during the role playing components.

No guarantees on any of that. But working on it is better than ignoring it & hoping for the best. Hope is not a strategy.

pax

Page generated in 0.03465 seconds with 8 queries