View Single Post
Old September 28, 2019, 09:26 AM   #11
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I've got a 410 SxS that I carry along as a back up to my 28 SxS bird hunting for grouse. What does 3/4 oz shot in a 410 do that a 3/4oz shot in a 20 won't? Nothing! I started carrying my 410 because I took it out training with my dog's one time and used it on pigeons. This will be hard for some to believe but it killed them just as fast and just as dead as any 12ga or 16ga or even 20 ga I ever used. For a starter gun for kids ya can't beat it I don't think. Really light gun that doesn't kill and someone that learns on a 410 I believe will be better with a larger bore.
If a 410 works well for you, then congratulations, you are obviously a very good shot.

However the only virtue the 410 has as a beginner's gun is low recoil. The low hit percentage caused by the thin patterns and long shot string generated makes learning difficult and frustrating. It's just too unforgiving for beginners.

A 28 ga would be a better choice for beginners, a 20 ga better still if they can deal with the recoil.

I do agree that if someone learns to shoot well on a 410 they will be a better shot with a larger bore. If they don't get frustrated and quit first.

Page generated in 0.03859 seconds with 8 queries