View Single Post
Old February 15, 2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to The Firing Line, SlowHuck!

As overhead noted, moving forward without an attorney is a precarious move, at the very least. Ordinarily, when we get these kinds of "help me with legal stuff threads," I post the following bits of advice:
  • You do need an attorney.
  • You do need an attorney well-versed in both criminal law and firearms law, on the federal and state levels.
  • You do not need to post lots of details of your situation on a public internet forum, however well-meaning said enthusiasts may be.
  • You do not need legal advice on a serious, potentially life-altering situation from a bunch of anonymous gun enthusiasts over the internet.
  • The things that you tell your attorney are confidential.
  • The things that you post on internet forums are not.

If I find these threads before they get too far, I often close them. However, this one has gotten far enough along that I will leave it open, should you decide to go in and edit your post.

I am an attorney, so I know how expensive attorneys are. However, you need to balance the cost of an attorney against the risk of whatever paths you are considering. You should also contact your local bar association and ask if there are any programs by which low-income folks can get some legal assistance. You may or may not qualify, but if you do not ask, then you will never know.

Page generated in 0.03673 seconds with 8 queries