View Single Post
Old January 28, 2018, 05:04 AM   #28
In The Ten Ring

I read somewhere that the average self defense shooting distance is 3 yards with an average of 2.7 rounds fired.

I have also read it will usually be very fast, violent, and close range. Counting one robbery attempt overseas, I've faced four instances where a shooting might have been necessary. Of those four times three were within arms' length and one was perhaps 21 to 30 feet. Thank God each time the assailants backed off when it became clear they were in for more than they expected.

Speaking of training, I think it's a good idea to practice a speed rock. This is inherently dangerous since you'll be drawing and firing from the hip, into the belly/center mass of a target. Be sure not to shoot yourself!

When it comes to CCW, everything I have read said to "carry the largest weapon of the largest caliber you could both shoot well and conceal."

Big guns handle better, balance better, and are easier to shoot well and keep rounds on target. I have also read that "basement" calibers were 9mm Luger and .38 Special. I no longer carry anything less than .38 SPL and I am about to go back to carrying .45 ACP.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; January 28, 2018 at 05:17 AM.

Page generated in 0.03046 seconds with 8 queries