View Single Post
Old March 8, 2009, 12:50 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Being in the military complicates things...a little

First, thank you for your service, and welcome to the board!

As others have clearly stated, Federal law is 21 to purchase from an FFL. And, state laws apply. Some states have an age limit on ownership (possession), others do not. Some have an age limit on purchase, others do not.

The complication from your military status is that you are technically a resident of two states (sort of). For some things you are a resident of your "Home of Record" (like voting), but for other things, you may be a resident of the state where you are permanently stationed.

You will find it difficult to own a firearm while living in the barracks/dorms, as generally (and as far as I know, without exception) private firearms may not be kept there. You can own them on post, but they must be stored in govt. arms rooms. There is a system to do that, but it is cumbersome, and besides the forms and registration, you normally must make arrangements to get your gun(s) out and turn them back in after use.

If you live off base, the laws of the state are the ones that apply.

This is a bit of a grey area, and it is possible that the state you are stationed in may not have the same laws as your home of record state. In this case, I do not know which laws would apply. You should contact the JAG office at your duty station for advice. They may not know for certain which laws would apply between the states (although I would think they could find out), but the certainly would know the Air Force regs and how/if they apply. And its free!

Good luck.

Page generated in 0.02714 seconds with 8 queries