View Single Post
Old February 24, 2013, 12:13 PM   #23
22-rimfire

Hoarding?

My opinion is that if you have significantly more than you will need, then you may be "hoarding". But "need" for how long? That is the deciding factor for me. What you have is based on your finances, your interest in shooting, and I guess availability. I buy when it low priced and high priced. Dollar cost averaging = good ammunition supply.

The person who likes to shoot 22LR with their kids and has none would look at someone having a case (5,000 rounds) as hoarding because that might well be a several year supply for them. This person would likely buy one or two bulk packs at a time. They do not buy target grade ammo.

Talking about 22 rimfire ammo.... this is ammo that tends to be cached and accumulated to volumes well beyond what a normal shooter might consume shooting centerfire ammo. It's relatively cheap, normally available, and stores easily and safely. I consider it prudent sense to buy a supply ahead of the actual need.

So what is enough? When does your cache become a hoard?

The discussion may be pointless as what I think is enough and if I have the fore sight to buy it ahead of time, makes little difference to someone who absolutely has no ammunition and has limited ability to buy any.

I shoot 41 magnum and I have not been reloading. I am always thinking about buying 41 magnum ammunition and trying to find ammo that is good but not extremely costly. Hence, you build up a cache of the stuff because it is harder to replace quickly than say the more popular calibers. I have more than I would shoot in a year, maybe two years... is that hoarding? I think not.

I have enough of the promotional 22 rimfire ammunition to do me for a number of years. But I am lacking in good quality target ammunition. Is that hoarding? No, I buy it when I find it and I routinely purchased some almost on a weekly basis when availabilty was good. So, I have some.

Is my handgun centerfire cache hoarding? I think not. I try to keep at least 10 50-ct boxes available for my use. I could run through that in a month of my normal shooting.

Centerfire rifle? Depends on how much you shoot as always. I don't shoot a lot of it so a few hundred rounds is generally more than adequate as a resource. I do shoot more 223 however and that supply needs to be in the thousands of rounds or I feel like I could shoot it up in a couple outings.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; February 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.03552 seconds with 8 queries