View Single Post
Old December 6, 2018, 07:04 PM   #29
hounddawg

RC you make me feel bad for thinking 55F and sunny is cold

Quote:
Not only do the shell holders have the horizontal play, but another difference in that system is the shell rests on a platform that supports the rim all the way around with no gap as you have in a conventional shell holder. It may be a small factor, but it is better symmetry.
I am of the thought that the more play the better. The shell holder(jaws) job is to retract the case from the die when the ram( platform) lowers. Now I suppose when the shellholder or jaws allowed to retract the case if it tilts on the way out could tilt the case and possibly misalign the neck...odds are low but its something to think about. My thought is that the expander ball on the dies tend to tilt the case and that is why my runout is less when I remove the expander ball from the die

regardless I get great runout numbers the way I am doing things and while I wouldn't mind a new toy but I don't think a press is going to win out

Last edited by hounddawg; December 6, 2018 at 07:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.03434 seconds with 8 queries