View Single Post
Old December 6, 2018, 09:34 AM   #27
hounddawg

Quote:
I use Redding fl dies for autoloaders and adjust the decapper when the case is in the die to ensure it is centered. It makes a big difference but still see some.003 and occasionally .004. Feel free to share techniques.
I found that if I decap before sizing and use no expander ball with a Redding S Bushing die I get less than .002, normally around .0005 - .0015. I did a test last year and compared that to using a Redding body die and a Lee collet neck sizing die and found almost no statistical difference

Just removing the expander ball and decaping rod rod and leaving the bushing adjustment backed off 1/16th of a turn to allow a little float in the bushing is my only "trick"

here is a 300 yd target from a match, my lack of wind and mirage skills killed the score on this one but 19 of the 20 rounds were a little over .4 MOA in vertical spread. The 20th shot at 11 o'clock in the ten ring would put it up to .6 MOA vertical

https://i.imgur.com/vA22xF9.jpg

The ammo did it's job, they guy behind the trigger was the weak link. Even if the group had been centered I would have still dropped 4 or 5 points so it's not great shooting at all but it does show what the ammo can do. You don't get vertical spreads of .5 MOA at 300 if your ammo has a lot of runout. The only real tests of what your ammo can do are conducted at the shootijng range. If you are getting small verticals then the ammo is working fine and no changes in equipment or load are necessary, those pesky horizontal spreads are the fault of the guy or gal pulling the trigger wind reading skills nine out of ten times. No amount of money spent on anything other than range practice change that

speaking of which it's time to pack up for a range session

Last edited by hounddawg; December 6, 2018 at 09:43 AM.

Page generated in 0.02652 seconds with 8 queries