View Single Post
Old September 6, 2017, 02:14 PM   #80
TruthTellers

Went shooting with my friend today who, because he lives in a free state West of the Hudson River, has a CCW permit. His carry gun is a S&W J frame with exposed hammer, my future carry gun is a Glock 27 Gen 4.

Shooting that J frame, with +P ammo is not easy. He never goes to the range to shoot and he was throwing 6 inch groups at 5 yards with his carry ammo at first. I brought some standard pressure 158 grain LRN and after some more practice, with ample time taken to aim between each shot, he was getting 2 inches at 10 yards.

I was getting 3 inch groups at 18 yards with my Glock 27 with fairly rapid shots.

My point is that small snub revolvers with little grips are very hard to aim and me, not being one who shoots them often, have come to the conclusion that they are not for me as carry guns. For the size, you can get a .380 that's much smaller or a 9mm that's roughly the same size.

This coming from someone who bought a Rock Island 2 inch .38 revolver 3 weeks ago. I bought that to use as a nightstand gun or a garage gun, not for carrying. My current disposition is that if I'm going to carry a revolver, it's going to have a barrel length of at least 3 inches and a medium to full size grip and it's likely going to be an open carry gun.

EDIT: And after seeing how poorly my friend was shooting with his .38 that he rarely shoots, it becomes all the more clear to me the value of a .32 caliber revolver. Why? .32 beats any .22 for performance and accurate shooting and it has less recoil than .38.

Last edited by TruthTellers; September 6, 2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: More thoughts

Page generated in 0.02184 seconds with 8 queries