View Single Post
Old August 1, 2006, 07:59 PM   #16
CDH

I remember when I took my first CCW class how several people asked about this subject. The officer present jumped ALL over them and made it clear that CCW holders are not in any way part of some kind of law inforcement group.
Only after you have identified a threat who intends to seriously harm you or your immediate family are you to draw your weapon (the officer's very animated suggestion) and take whatever action necessary.

His opinion about putting your life on the line to protect someone else whom you don't know was that:

1. You don't know if you are stepping into a domestic dispute which you have NO business being part of. Cops are even afraid of those deals. Call 911 on your cell phone and report it.

2. You may very well be involving yourself in a situation with an undercover officer in plain clothes in which case you might kill that officer and possibly be brought up on a Capital Murder charge. Just as likely, you could get yourself killed by the officer or his criminal target, in which case, you're just dead and the cop gets a week off with pay while the incident is investigated before going back to work and hoping some other damn CCW fool doesn't make the same mistake you did.
If you see a crime in progress, call 911 and report it.

3. We (in the class) have taken upon ourselves the responsibility for our own safety, and if someone else is being victimized, and they are not willing to do the same as us, then that's the victim's problem. If you DO decide to get involved in what you think is a legitimate requirement to protect someone else, first consider #'s 1 and 2.

The freedom to carry a weapon that can kill people with ease is not to be taken lightly, and never forget that the first bullet you fire will cost you about $100,000 in attorney's fees. Your life and the life of those you love is worth that and more. The rest; you takes your chances.

Carter

Page generated in 0.02921 seconds with 8 queries