View Single Post
Old November 20, 2019, 03:27 PM   #268
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
You never need a hi-capacity pistol for SD carry, unless you are John McClain retaking the Nakatomi Building from Hans Gruber. For the rest of us, 9 (1911 in .45ACP) to 11-rounds (BHP in .40 cal) is more than enough.
I have to disagree. First, not all 1911s hold 9 rounds in .45 ACP. You are assuming that the gun has 8-round magazines and that it's loaded 8+1. But the original 1911 magazines only held 7 rounds, and many people (including myself) consider 8-round, flush-fit magazines to be less reliable and thus something to be avoided.

You are also assuming a full-size or Commander 1911. My Colt Officers ACP magazines hold 6 rounds, so the best I can do without a reload is 6+1.

Frankly, I don't see a huge difference between 7+1 and 6+1. I carry a spare magazine. I started doing that after the Trolley Square mall shooting in Salt Lake City a few years ago. The person who initially engaged the shooter and pinned him down until the cavalry arrived was an off-duty police officer from another jurisdiction. His personal carry gun was a Kimber subcompact that held 6+1. He only had the magazine that was in the gun and, when he was interviewed afterwards, he said he really wished he had had at least one reload.
Jeepaholic

Page generated in 0.02461 seconds with 8 queries