View Single Post
Old May 24, 2020, 11:07 AM   #5
Gawp

Quote:
First, cast bullets have an actual groove, or two, for the crimp. That ribbed band on your jacketed bullets is referred to as a cannelure. As long as your bullet is seated so as to allow crimping into the cannelure, at least half in the case, and you do it the same every time, you are unlikely to impact accuracy. I do find that seating a bullet to the maker's spec in a properly sized case usually puts most or all of the cannelure below the rim.
Thank you, I didn't know these 2 words couldn't be used interchangeably. I get it now! Thank you for your answer!

Quote:
Your 30-30 needs a uniform crimp
Can this "uniform crimp" be achieved with the Lee Factory Crimp?

Quote:
My understanding is that the cannalure is to make space for brass from the neck to fold in without deforming the bullet. If you cant see it it might be too high and not lock into the cannalure. based on my understanding the first if bad, the second 2 are both fine.
Makes sense, thank you!

Quote:
Knurling or canneluring bullets unbalances them. They shoot less accurate. Especially when crimped in place.

It's a compromise for heavy recoiling cartridges in sporting rifle ammo with crimped in bullets.
What do you mean by crimped "in place"? I guess I still need to crimp my bullets right? Because they will go into a tubular magazine (Marlin 336 XLR).

Page generated in 0.02336 seconds with 8 queries