View Single Post
Old August 30, 2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Departed402

I'm new to Glocks, but... is that normal? (A Magazine Change Issue)

I have finally joined the law enforcement community, and as expected, “the Kool-Aid” was forced down my throat. Actually I’ve enjoyed the very short time that I’ve had my Glock 21 (.45ACP). The reason I’m making this thread is due to an issue I had this evening when I was shooting. I’ll go ahead and put the issue in capital letters so if you know the answer to my question you can answer immediately. If you need more information I’ll post everything below the main question so you guys can look at the whole story.

ONCE I EMPTIED A MAGAZINE AND SLAMMED A LOADED ONE IN FAIRLY HARD, THE SLIDE WENT FORWARD BY ITSELF WITHOUT ME ACTUATING THE SLIDE-RELEASE LEVER. SO, IS THAT NORMAL?

Alright, if it’s not normal please keep reading, and I’ll provide additional information to help solve the mystery. The Glock 21 I was issued was sitting in a cabinet. I have no idea how long it had been there, or how long it had been since it had been cleaned. It is outfitted with an M3 Illuminator, and Hogue sleeve on the grip. I will note that the lens on the illuminator was clean when I first got it, which may be an indication to its cleanliness. Anyway after getting the gun we went to the range, where I put about 75 rounds of Winchester range bullets through it. I don’t recall the slide going forward by itself during my time at the range, maybe it did it once or twice. From there my sergeant gave me about 75 more Winchester range bullets, and said, if I wanted to, between that night (last Tuesday), and next week when I start (this Thursday) to go ahead and get accustomed to the trigger reset.

Since I expect to shoot the gun within the next week or so and because it’s a Glock, I figured it would be fine if I didn’t clean it until after I spent the other 75 rounds.

So tonight, I went shooting on my uncle’s land. When I spent the last round in a magazine the slide locked back as you would expect, but when I slammed a new mag magazine in, the slide went forward without me actuating the slide-release. I will say that I was slamming them in fairly hard, if that matters. There were a couple times where it didn’t go forward by itself, and I released it manually with the slide-release lever.

So after that I took it home and cleaned it. I decided to experiment with it some more. I’ve noticed that it only seems to do that when I slam a loaded magazine in the gun rather hard. If I do it gently it doesn’t do it. Again, is that normal?

Last edited by Departed402; August 30, 2011 at 11:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.03151 seconds with 8 queries