Thread: One Shot Kill
View Single Post
Old January 30, 2023, 09:22 AM   #32
603Country

Over the decades, I’ve killed a lot of deer (hundreds). Going back into memory, I don’t remember needing more than one shot, until this year. Normally I’ll shoot ‘em behind the shoulder, they run a short distance and die. This year, on a doe at 250ish yards, I did a high shoulder shot. The deer dropped, but wasn’t dead. It struggled to get up, though that wasn’t going to happen, and I shot it in the head. Didn’t want suffering to continue.

But Hogs, that’s a bit different. I’ve seen too many dead hogs get up and run. I hate tracking wounded hogs. Recently I’ve gone to a 6.5 Grendel for hogs. The AR in 223 wasn’t getting the job done, no matter what bullet I tried, so I upgraded. The Grendel seems about as effective inside 200 yards as my 260, though I always stay on the gun to make sure the ‘dead’ hog doesn’t get up. The most recent hog was down and making his last twitches, but danged if he didn’t finally get back up. I plugged him again, but he still made it to the woods. Dang hogs are tough. I will admit that I was using the 95 gr V-Max that Double Naught recommended against. Just plan on hogs needing to be reshot.

Page generated in 0.02285 seconds with 8 queries