Thread: Suppressor help
View Single Post
Old October 6, 2016, 07:26 AM   #7
Mobuck

If you're looking strictly at suppressing a 17HMR, here's something to think about.
I bought a "youth model" Ruger RAR in 17 HMR with threaded muzzle as a host. I immediately discovered the extractors aren't strong enough for this application. Using Hornady V-Max, I'd get 4-5 shots(at most) before needing a "plunk rod" to knock cases out of the chamber. The ammo worked fine w/o the can but the extra pressure and fouling when muffled caused the cases to stick enough that the extractors slipped.
I have a large supply of the Hornady ammo that is useless in this rifle(I do have a 77/17 that the ammo is fine in). The only ammo I've found that consistently extracts with the can is CCI "Green" NT which is loaded to slightly lower velocities. I only shoot the muffled rifle when I really need to since the CCI ammo is considerably more expensive than the Hornady that I bought years ago.
Maybe has no bearing on your situation but also worth knowing before making can/host decisions.

"I guess my next question is this. I know in the gun world certain manufactures do it better than others. So who is top dog in the silencer world, who's on the low end, and who's right in the middle?"

Go to Silencer Shop's website and read the specs and reviews--lots of good info there.

Page generated in 0.03522 seconds with 8 queries