View Single Post
Old June 5, 2010, 02:02 PM   #3
zippy13

Greetings cmo630, and welcome aboard

For a Skeet auto-loader, Beretta captured Remington's dominance of the market several years ago. At one time the autos you saw on the Skeet fields were R-1100's now the Berettas are the competitors' choice. Beretta's success is do to a gas system that is a generation newer than the 1100's. I'm an 1100 owner, but for a new gun I'd look at a Beretta.

Unfortunately, a new Beretta (non-3901) is beyond your budget and they don't meet your requirement for a high gloss walnut stock. Your specs generally describe a target gun and target guns are typically tailored for light loads of the 2-3/4 inch variety. A target shooter doesn't want the extra weight and the slower speed of a 3" action. Not many high gloss stocks and shiny blue finishes are found on field guns these days, most hunters want matte and camo.

Before the requirements for non-toxic shot, most folks were happy in the woods with a 2-3/4" chamber. It was the extra capacity need to accommodate steel shot that made the 3" chambers popular and now almost a requirement for a field gun. I was in a big box sporting goods store earlier in the year and they didn't have any 2-3/4" turkey loads. The noob at the counter wasn't unaware that old guns and new target guns generally don't have 3" chambers.

If you've been following this forum for a while, you'll have seen reports that auto guns advertised as shooting various length of 12-ga shells don't function well with light 2-3/4" loads. If you're going to be shooting Skeet, there's a chance that you'll want to try out the lighter loads. Make sure your gun will handle them. If you want to shoot 2-3/4 and 3" shells indiscriminately, think about getting an O/U.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, based on your specs, you'll probably be happier with a 2-3/4" chamber in an R-1100 Sporting for Skeet and upland shooting and a different 3" gun for bigger birds and game.

Good luck!

Page generated in 0.03200 seconds with 8 queries