View Single Post
Old April 18, 2009, 10:12 PM   #4
HiBC

In my experience,RCBS is quite reliable in the quality department.It would seem very unlikely that one person could buy two sets of defective dies.A remote possibility could be the dealer did some cannibalizing of the diesets to help a customer who wiped out his spindle,and did not get the re-assembly right.Have you a mic or calipers? What does the expander measure?

I suppose you could have an oversize chamber,but I think you would see a noticeable step in the case,where it swelled,just in front of the case head,near the extractor groove.And,still,I have reformed brass to wildcat cartridges and haven't needed the effort you describe.

Are you getting the cases clean before you reload?

Please describe how you lube them.I suspect you have a lube issue.I find the RCBS and Dillon spray case lubes work well for me,but you must let them sit a while for the volatile carrier to evaporate.

What sort of press do you have? Some of the very small ones do not have great leverage.

It is a good idea to brush out the necks before you lube.Usually,the spray lube gets just enough lube inside the neck for the expander ball.

To verify how the expander works,it should pass freely through the neck on the way in.The sizer die will size the neck to be undersize intentionally.On the way back out,the expander ball sizes the ID of the neck upto the desired dimension.

Page generated in 0.04181 seconds with 8 queries