View Single Post
Old April 14, 2008, 10:51 AM   #17
Big Don

Bill,
Good thread! I have to agree with those who look at the eyes. What are they looking at, how often (checking the scene?), "happy eyes" or is there something happening behind the eyes that may/will mean trouble? Body movement: is it tight and controlled or free and easy? What am I doing? At the ATM or the cash register in a small store? Walking to my vehicle in a large parking lot or an empty parking structure? I'm always trying to access the situation but some require an extra level of alertness. Clothing: is it hot and they're overdressed? The "biker clothing" issue is important and I don't mean it as a slur on the honest bikers. There's "biker clothing" and then there's "BIKER clothing"; they may be similar but there's a difference. Clean vs "greasy/dirty"? I look for the clothing/eyes/body movement combo and those who have commented on the biker clothing are no doubt doing the same. Profiling? You bet I am! We all do (and most wish TSA would too!) but that's not the only criterion. We've all read it before: don't look like a victim and the chances are better that you won't be one. Standing tall, showing confidence in who you are and showing awareness of your surroundings decreases your chances of being a victim. Then be willing to expect the unexpected!

Page generated in 0.03554 seconds with 8 queries