View Single Post
Old December 5, 2002, 01:11 AM   #11
john kilgore

Ditto what Jim Watson said about the Rem 115 JHP's.

I've used them a lot over the past 10yrs. However, I've found the accuracy to be indistinguishable from the Rainier's, and then Rainiers are about $10.00/M cheaper. I do the bulk of my practice from the 50yd line, and it does you little good if the ammo isn't accurate enough to tell you what your doing wrong. Precision Delta used to load the Remington 115 JHP in their factory match grade ammo. They now use the Hornady as Hornady now sells in bulk to the "industry" for about the same as Remington. If I order in bulk, I can get the Hornady's for the same price as Midway sells the Remington -$49.00/M. The Hornady's are match grade all-the-way and just a bit better than the Remingtons which can be inconsistent from one batch to the next. I've heard but can't confirm that the bulk bullets they "turn loose" are actually "Seconds". Some because of cosmetics, but others for reasons that only turn up on the target. My last batch was "one of those", and I ended up using Rainiers for the "short lines" at the nationals. I used the Hornadys for the "50", and the Precision Delta factory loads for the "Distinguished" matches which require factory ammo.

I have used the Noslers, and they are as accurate as you'll get. However because of the quite rounded ogive and large hollow point, I had two 1911's with ramped barrels (one with a Kart, the other a Nowlin), and neither would feed the Noslers. The lip of the Hollow point would hang on the bottom of the feed ramp. That is the only thing I found wrong with them. They would be fine in My S&W's, but the cheapest price I've found on them is about $80.00/M.

The really neat thing about the Noslers is that they make them in .357" dia, and if you have an older .38 Super, are the best thing going for them. The Army AMU team out of Ft. Benning used them in some "Supers" they were playing with several years back which is what prompted me to try the Noslers.

I've gotten it on good reliable info that the Marine Corp used the Nosler 185 JHP's with 4.3gr of VV-N310 to hurt everyone's feelings in the Intra Service matches this year. I didn't get the oal though ! Was told they were using Starline brass but not sure, and Federal Gold Medal Match primers. Worth a try in your Match .45's. It's supposed to be about the same speed as the Federal 185 hp match load.

Page generated in 0.03314 seconds with 8 queries