View Single Post
Old November 22, 2002, 10:38 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

To remind us of Ladybug's questions about CabelaWorld, this "Divorcement" factor brings in another facet of many in America: Ownership creates skill, just in and of itself.

How many guys have you ever met who act insulted at the idea of taking a training course in the use of that handgun they just bought--their first handgun. (But if they add a scope, they'll start to actually hit a target.)

How many guys would be truly insulted and get all ory-eyed if you tell them they can't drive a carll, worth sour apples? I've seen some in the early stages of sports car racing. They're gonna show the world. Humility comes when they get lapped within a few minutes.

The flip side of the skill and knowledge coin: I've known guys who were continually in a swivet over the cost of car repairs. They didn't do their own repairs because they didn't know how. My comment ran along the lines of well, they got a degree in engineering or geology via books; how about buying a shop manual and some tools? The obvious problem was that they didn't want to get their hands dirty.

And so in today's world many people equate your or my lack of concern about dirty hands during food-gathering, with moral toughness.

Art

Page generated in 0.03004 seconds with 8 queries