View Single Post
Old January 29, 2020, 05:09 PM   #11
mellow_c

I agree, that I wouldn’t be in a hurry to have someone who’s got a small fortune in high quality firearms and accessories, but never manages to get to any range and even shoot a single box of ammo in years, come and shoot on my land, let alone with their kids.

On the other hand. If you have the time, patience and desire, you have one of the best teaching opportunities anyone could ever ask for.

Let me put it this way. If you WANT to teach this fellow and his kids, because that will be an enjoyable experience for you. Then go right ahead.

Have him (on his own for a time or two) or all of them come over, and start the whole group off with ONE 22 rifle. That way everyone’s focus will be on ONE gun and how to handle it safely and fire it effectively. Everyone will be doing their best to impress based on your guidance and overall control of the situation.

You have the opportunity to start these folks off by teaching them the right way and the long way in a secure and private environment. But only if you are interested in providing them that experience, and they have the patience to follow your rules and respect your authority.

Someday, after enough successful lessons and training days. They might have enough confidence in them selves to go to a public range when you are not available so they can enjoy their new found love of shooting on their own time.

And as your confidence in them grows, you might allow your friend to bring over some of his nicer stuff so that he can experience a greater level of enjoyment when firing all these things for the first time instead of just pulling the trigger like a complete amateur.

As far as anyone else is concerned, if they are an experienced shooter and can demonstrate safe gun handling while around you at all times, I don’t think you need to be worried.

It’s good to have faith in people. It is also good to teach people to have faith in themselves.

Page generated in 0.02142 seconds with 8 queries