View Single Post
Old May 17, 2013, 10:54 AM   #24
wogpotter

I didn't realize this could become such a heated topic!

Quote:
it will detonate the others in the spent primer cup
I want those multi-use primers too, mine only go bang once!

I've actually had a primer detonate while decapping just once in over 18,000 rounds. It fired because I didn't realize the one round was primed & the primer was crimped in. If it wasn't crimped & I had realized it was there I wouldn't have tried to muscle it out & it probably wouldn't have fired at all anyway.

Let me relate the actual experience for you all.

The case is inserted in a big, strong steel or carbide die, the case mouth is only partially obstructed by the decapping rod's stem if the decapping pin is contacting the primers anvil from inside, so any pressure can immediately release past the gap up into the die body. This is in turn screwed into a bigger & stronger metal "C" or "O" made of heavy duty metal & designed to handle the stresses of forcing metal back into a smaller shape thousands of times, its not a "wimpy" tool kit. The bottom is a large metal ram, held in place by thousands of pounds of compund leverage & having a small opening in its center only.

So what exactly happens?

A very loud & totally ujnexpected BANG! followed by a little smoke & a few fragments that are directed down through the priming feed. The inside of the die is covered in black soot & crud, so you have to clean it out, the press ram is equally filthy as the dried grease lube & other crud is flung everywhere, thats it, done deal. Press designers plan for such things & so seperate primer feed systems from direct intrusion into the priming station, so "whole tubes of primers going off like atomic bombs" is pretty unlikely.

Well, apart from having to let the shakes stop, the heart return to normal & getting fresh shorts.

No fingers were blown clean off in the production of this post.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; May 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Page generated in 0.03245 seconds with 8 queries