View Single Post
Old December 19, 2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Mac Cande

Question regarding the 4473

As I am new to these forums, I'm not exactly that sure this is the correct section for this thread; it did seem the most fitting, though. I have never attempted to purchase a firearm of any sort, but find myself with the desire to do so now. While doing a little research on the procedure, I came across a copy of the ATF 4473 form containing a questionnaire with 12 or so "Yes" or "No" questions. One of them asked about ever having been adjudicated mentally defective or committed to an institution, which is the one I have a question about. When I was around 14 I was having difficulty coping with multiple family tragedies and subsequently spent a week in a facility that monitored minors that could potentially be "at-risk". I was not there for violence or anything of that nature, simply persistent depression my family found worrisome. My mother voluntarily asked that I be evaluated, which I agreed to, so my question is whether or not I would need to answer "Yes" to that question on the 4473. Other than that bout of situational depression, I have never been diagnosed with any mental illness, but I want to make sure that I am not answering incorrectly on the form. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Page generated in 0.02825 seconds with 8 queries