View Single Post
Old August 21, 2012, 11:24 PM   #12
Adamantium

I'll actually answer your question. In my mind it is better to help someone to stay within the limits of safety than it is to say "I've never done that and you shouldn't either".

If you want to push velocity, whether it be rifle or pistol (I haven't reloaded shotgun for years) expect to invest in a lot of powders. Each cartridge usually has one or two powders that stand above the rest velocity wise. Look at all the manufacturers free reloading guides to get a better idea of velocities. I always recommend staying within the published load data, but max load is within that so I don't go around trying to scare people away from it. It's generally novice reloaders who don't shy away from max load as a rule.

These days I like to buy powder in bulk (5-8 lbs jugs) and find as many loads possible using just a couple powders. So I chase economy, others chase accuracy, still others chase velocity. Just like you got poo pooed for saying you want to shoot fast ammo without even hinting at the idea of ignoring safety I will get poo pooed for trying to save money. Welcome to the online world.

But my "hot" load is using AA#5 with 45acp jacketed bullets. It will deliver +P velocities at standard pressures. Plus with works good for 9mm too so it doesn't collect dust when I am shooting cast bullets, which is almost all I shoot.

Page generated in 0.03444 seconds with 8 queries