Thread: Kids and Guns
View Single Post
Old November 29, 2009, 10:06 AM   #47
kraigwy

I have taken a differant approach. I have 5 kids, and several grandkids (that spend most of their time here0

Kid have a natural curosity toward guns. Something exotic. They see them on tv and in the movies.

We played cowboys and indians as kids, even during recess at school. Kids, or the ones I grew up with anyway, had guns at a young age. It wasnt uncommon to come home from school, grab a 22 or shot gun and take off in the woods. I'm not talking HS, I'm talking grade school. In HS we took them to school to work on them in shop.

We didnt have to sneak them out to play with them. There was nothing exotic, the were just there.

I raised my kids (and now grandkids) the same way. I teach them safety. I show them what they are capable of. They understand what a higt velocity round can do to an animal. They know the animal dosnt come back to life after being killed. They know you cant fix a gunshot wound with a shot of whiskey like the westerns they see on tv.

They also know, if they want to shoot they can. Nothing exotic, shooting is a sport, either hunting or targets. Kids dont have to sneak a gun out to play with if they have access to them.

I also dont let them shoot bottles or beer cans, if they want to shoot, they shoot targets, either paper or gongs.

Thats the way I was raised, thats the way my father was raised, and the way my grandfather was raised. And its the way I raised my kids and grandkids. We havent had anyone in our family shooting up schools or street lights. I carried a 22 pistol as a small kid, fishing or running a trap line. When in highschool, my parents were seperated, I would take summer trips on a motorcyle from Oregon to Arkansas every summer to see my mother. I carried concealed then. No one thought anything of it.

My ideals arn't PC in todays world I realize and probably most here will disagree with me.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02559 seconds with 8 queries